Sunday, August 5, 2007

Live Extravagant


Today at church I realized something as the pastor spoke about Mark 14: 1-9. It was about a lady who all she had to give to Jesus in gratitude and worship, before he was to be crucified, was an expensive perfume (perfume she could have sold). Instead, she broke the vase and annointed him with the scent. Before his death, everyone that came in contact with him would smell the scent and wherever the Good News is preached throughout the world, this woman's deed will be talked about in her memory.


Our pastor encouraged us, to every once in a while live extravagant and break our own vases (whatever those vases may be...maybe even our own spirit...let it pour out and touch someone else) rather than tiptoeing around those guarded specialities or saving something for a rainy day. Why? .... because we can, because "it" or "we" may not always be around, and because it means something.

So today after lunch, we came home and I lit a beautiful expensive candle that Chad bought me years ago. It is a special
bird of paradise candle (helps me remember details of our wedding day in Hawaii) that I would only light on special events or if we were expecting company. Today my company was my family. The candle burned for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden, Lissy comes down from upstairs, with an excited look on her face, and says, "Mommy, what is that smell, I just love it".

Now its your turn, Break a "vase"!

No comments: